The Price of Freedom

I am a Battle Captain for an Attack Helicopter Battalion in the First Cavalry Division, currently deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I am an AH-64D Longbow Apache helicopter pilot and a veteran of OIF II. I have a very amazing son, David, who I miss very much and think about every day. I plan on getting out of the military as soon as I am able to go work for my dad in Florida. I hope to start a nice little business of my own someday!

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Round Two Begins

Well, after a long break, I have officially returned. I originally planned to update everyone in the two months prior to our deployment, but I will admit I was completely overwhelmed. I worked everyday until at least 2000 (8 p.m. for you non-military types) in preparation for our Battalion's deployment to Iraq.

As an Assistant Operations Officer or "Battle Captain" as we are affectionately known, my job has two roles. Prior to deployment, it is my charge to ensure that every Soldier has had the appropriate amount of training in all aspects of the military in order to be prepared for combat operations. This training ranges from being proficient with individual weapon systems to being able to put a HellFire Missile into a building over 4000m away with bullets flying in your face. We have had a plethora of classes and small group discussions on everything from team tactics to Iraqi cultural awareness. And for every segment of these training events, it is my job to coordinate for briefers, facilities, transportation, status tracking, etc.

Once we move into theater, I change gears and keep my aircrews (including myself) in the fight by providing situational awareness, mission briefings, air-ground integration, and airspace deconfliction. I will manage a certain amount of team missions at once to acheive the ground commanders' objective of defeating the enemy and restoring peace/democracy through lethality and agility.

We arrived at Camp Beuhring, Kuwait about two weeks ago and began the grueling process of RSO (Reception, Staging, and Onward Movement). This month is filled with briefings, last minute weapon validations, and the logistical operations that will successfully move our Battalion forward into Iraq. I am currently working about 18-20 hour days as well as flying once or twice a week to become environmentally qualified (i.e. learning how to land in the dust). The long days are helpful in keeping me from thinking about what I have left at home, but every night before I go to bed I have to hold back the tears. My responsibility to my Soldiers also helps since for many of them, this is their first time. I can see on their faces the extreme separation anxiety that plagued me on my first deployment. It makes me stronger knowing that they need me to be their leader.

This Battalion has some more time before we move north and begin to integrate ourselves into the fight. There are many things left that we must do to ensure a smooth transition as we occupy our battle space. I would like to thank all of those who keep us in their prayers and thoughts. As soon as I have an address for myself, I will post it. For those of you who wrote me last time, you know that I always write back no matter how little free time I may have. God be with all of you back home.
Reaper 16, 15:30

2 Comments:

You amaze me! Good luck. I'll be praying for your safe return as well as some peace of mind for you!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 16:22  
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us."

George Orwell

God Speed you are all in our prayers.

Don
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:43  

Post a Comment