The Price of Freedom

I am a Battle Captain for an Attack Helicopter Battalion in the First Cavalry Division, currently deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I am an AH-64D Longbow Apache helicopter pilot and a veteran of OIF II. I have a very amazing son, David, who I miss very much and think about every day. I plan on getting out of the military as soon as I am able to go work for my dad in Florida. I hope to start a nice little business of my own someday!

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Let The Games Begin

After some very interesting strategic level movements, yours truly arrived in FOB (Forward Operating Base) Taji, Iraq 8 days ago. I have not been able to post due to what we call a "commo blackout." When anyone from this FOB is killed, all internet and phone lines are turned off to prevent the next of kin and families from being notified improperly/inappropriately. With technology today the way it is, could you imagine finding out your loved one was dead on some Joe's MYSPACE? That would be very bad and for these reasons, I am not readily available to communicate. If it's any indicator if how things are going here, I would just say that for a variety of reasons, of the 8 days I have been here only about 12 hours have not been blocked out.

The good news is that I now have a mailing address. It follows here:

CPT Paul J Daigle
HHC, 1-227th Aviation Regiment
Unit 5010-0010
Taji, Iraq
APO AE 09378

I dropped off my first three letters today/tomorrow and I am looking forward to hearing and receiving letters or care packages. Many people ask what I would like or need. I can get pretty much anything out here, but it's all almost like back home. For my friends and I (seeing as I have much fewer number of Soldiers than last time), we are planning on sharing anything we get rather equitably. I personally am on a diet (I'm down to my target 185 lbs. again--that was quick!) and there is plenty of junk food to eat, but my guys love candy!

I personally like pictures from family and friends to hang up on the wall, new music, any Clemson stuff (didn't remember my flag this time either! damnit...) cigars, sugar free red bull (no longer available here!), magazines like maxim, national geographic, time, the economist, newsweek, etc., healthy snack food, sugar free drink mixes, and things of the sort. I am kind of a fan of Grey Goose Vodka and Seagram's Tonic too. Oops did I say that out loud?

Well now that the internet is back up I will be sure to catch you all up on what's going on with me. Hopefully I can post some pictures after I consult with our Operational Security experts. Thank you so very much for my thoughts and prayers. Peace out.
Reaper 16, 15:42

8 Comments:

Is it actually ok to start sending mail or do we have to wait until a specific date?
Anonymous Anonymous, at 22:27  
Any particular "packaging requirements" for the beverages?

Don
Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:48  
We are able to receive mail as of right now and no one will ever look in any box that comes to me! (Thanks Don!)
Blogger Reaper 16, at 09:14  
10-4!! Let's see what the old Master Sergeant can come up with! ;o)

Watch your "6" ( Y ) and keep your powder dry!
Don
Anonymous Anonymous, at 09:54  
CPT Daigle -

This could be an interesting case of net detecting. My name is Ryan Wallace and I'm looking for an APO for MSG Joe Wilgeroth. I went to high school with him and lost track of him some years ago. I googled him last night and found news of his promotion. From a Stars and Stripes post I got his unit. From the Fort Hood website I got his exact unit. Now I googled the apo for that unit and come to you. Reaper is what got my interest. So, I am either very wrong, or you are in the same unit. If the former, I apologize. If the latter, please let me know if the apo address is the same.

This could get interesting. You can post here or email me at RyanCWallace@msn.com
Anonymous Anonymous, at 21:06  
If you would like to send a letter to my old 1SG, just change the company title to "B Co, 1-227th AVN REGT"

I will forward any email correspondence to him if you want to send one to my spam account. (I won't give out his info over the net!) It's blackhawk602002@hotmail.com Sorry to be so cautious, but we face a determined enemy!

I'm glad this all worked out for you!

Paul
Blogger Reaper 16, at 13:22  
Thanks! You know, I was wondering how much info I could get over the net. It is outstanding that you are being so cautious. I'll send to the spam.

I hope all is well and I'll keep reading.
Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:06  
I keep trying to send the spam but it doesn't go through. No worries. I'll send stuff via the APO.

Thanks again!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05  

Post a Comment